Saturday, April 17, 2010

Grey in L.A.

Well, it's not really grey, but it IS super smoggy. So this is the week. The week I traipse around LA and think about if I really want to move out here. However, before I even landed this afternoon, I am afraid I am already leaning towards no. Why? Because I hate to fly.

I have been on a plane probably over 100 times in my life and I still get nervous. I hate it. It's something I can't shake. So usually the night before I am a ball of nerves and can't get any sleep and then am all paranoid on the flight. I hate it.

So here is my funny story of the day. I barely got ANY sleep last night so I was particularly cranky and panic attack-y. I flew Virgin which I can not rave about more. It is amazing. You just order food on a screen and people come to you...no annoying carts! Plus you can watch movies, TV, listen to music etc. I really like it. But that's not my point. Let's get back to the "listening to music part."

Around Denver we started getting a lot of turbulence so I decided to watch episodes of Curb to calm my nerves and watch someone who is more neurotic than I am. So here I am listening via my Ipod headphones but I can hear this music and it is driving me nuts. I realized that it was probably coming from the guy in front of me who had on ginormous earphones. I was annoyed. Why are you listening to your music so loud that I can hear it from behind you. However, it was really light, and I noticed it was JT, and hey I like James Taylor. I tried to watch TV amid the bumps, getting more and more sure that the plane is going to drop 10,000 ft, and this guy's music is getting louder. I try leaning in to try and hear how loud his friggin headphones can be! Then I hear Elton John--hey I like that song too.

I am getting more and more annoyed with this guy. Next I hear Phish...what the heck is his guy listening too? Let me qualify my next move by telling you that when I fly I get really nervous and jumpy and have little tolerance for anything. I finally tapped the guy on the shoulder and asked him in my most Laura passive aggressive nice way to please turn down his music because I can hear it all the way in my seat. Mind you I was being a little cranky, but this guy looked at me so evil and said, "I don't know what the hell you're talking about...I'm watching CNN." I got a smackdown...but was still confused. Where the hell is this music coming from? And it's getting loud!

Then I hear this obscure song that I have on my Ipod. Hmmm, that's odd. I lean by my purse. The music is now disco-level. Yep, it was coming from my Ipod. No one ever told me that the new Ipod has a speaker so you can hear music even without the earphones on!!!! Every time I kicked under my seat in annoyance, the volume was going up!I was mortified. Luckily the person next to me was asleep and didn't catch my horrible mistake. And no, I didn't apologize to the guy.

So now I am at my hotel and want to sleep but am dying to go out and see what LA has to offer. More updates to come.

Song of the Day: Married with Children, Oasis, "Your music's shite it keeps me up all night, up all night."

2 comments:

  1. That is too funny!! Ahhh the joys of technology LOL

    Thanks for the chuckle Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passive- aggressive ?? I don't believe it.

    ReplyDelete